Ever wondered what you must do first before registering your marriage to be legal or you could be worried your marriage inst legal
- Intending couple should appear in person to the Uganda Registration Services Bureau before the Registrar of Marriages for an interview.
- The intending couple fills in a notice of marriage before a registrar and is given assessment forms to make payments at any bank of his choice.
- The couple can also make self assessment from the URA portal on www.ura.go.ug.
- The notice of marriage is pinned up on the registrar’s notice board for 21 calendar days.
- If there is no objection to the marriage, the ceremony takes place between 21 and 90 days on Monday to Friday from 10 am to 4 pm.
- If there is an objection, a caveat is placed and the matter is referred to court.
Where parties are between 18 and 21 years, they should in addition to 2 above submit:
- Proof of nationality for example a voter’s card, passport or national identification card.
- An LC 1 letter to prove residence in Kampala district for at least 15 days.
- A passport size photograph for identification.
- Marriage affidavits that conform with S.10 of the Marriage Act
- In case of foreign nationals, a letter from your Civil Registration or Vital Statistics Office confirming that the party is not married.
- A birth certificate to prove parentage.
- A consent letter from the father or mother or legal guardian
- A photocopy of the identification of the consenting authority